Part 1: Setup
What Will You Do¶
This is Part 1 of a multi-part, self-paced quick start exercise. In this part, you will setup the required resources to execute the EKS SOM.
Step 1: Create Cloud Credentials¶
Cloud credentials provide privileges to programmatically interact with your Amazon AWS account so that the lifecycle of infrastructure associated with the Amazon EKS cluster can be managed.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to create an IAM Role and use the below details when creating the role.
- Use the following "Account ID" when creating the IAM Role
- When prompted, create an "External ID" to create the IAM Role and save the ID for later use
- Once the IAM Role is created, copy the Role ARN for later use
Step 2: Fork Repository¶
Declarative specs for the Amazon EKS cluster and other resources are available in a Git repository
- Login to your GitHub account
- Navigate to the https://github.com/RafaySystems/SOM
- Fork the repository
Step 3: Enable GitHub Actions¶
GitHub Actions will be used to run the automation workflows that will configure the environment resources.
- In GitHub, click "Actions"
- Click "I understand my workflows, go ahead and enable them"
Step 4: Configure Secret¶
GitHub Actions will use RCTL to automate the provisioning of resources. The RCTL configuration will be stored as a Github Actions Secret.
- In the Rafay console, click "My Tools" -> "Download CLI Config"
- Open the downloaded JSON file in a text editor
- Copy the full JSON contents for later use
- In the forked GitHub repository, click "Settings"
- In the left hand pane, click "Secrets" -> "Actions"
- Click "New repositroy secret"
- Enter the name "rafaysecret" for the name
- Paste the copied JSON CLI config in the value field
- Click "Add secret"
At this point, you have everything setup and configured to begin using the SOM automation.